Mercury is hiring a
Senior Product Designer
USA - Remote
In 1954, in Columbus, Indiana, Eero Saarinen designed a branch office with glass walls, no offices, and a completely open floor plan. It was surrounded by trees; the furniture was made by Herman Miller; the lobby flooring was thick, rustic brick. It was built with transparency and community at its core.
Since 1954, a lot of things have happened—Saarinen’s branch is now a conference center, people increasingly live on the internet, and it’s hard to think of a single financial institution that still applies design thinking to their product.
We believe that in 2023 this revolves around thoughtful design, and we’re looking to add a product designer to our team to help.
- Take ownership of large portions of a complex product.
- Work across the entire design stack, including: speccing projects; designing workflows, detailed interactions, and high-fidelity visuals; and ensuring quality implementation.
- Find elegant solutions to user problems, and think critically from the user perspective.
- Simplify and cull design elements with a ruthless eye.
- Craft designs from first principles (referencing existing solutions is often a poor idea).
- Imbue mundane tasks and flows with a feeling of wonder.
- Prototype multiple visual and UX concepts and then narrow them to the right solution.
- Explain and debate the reasoning behind your product decisions.
- Work directly with the Design Team.
- Have the ability to design whole systems, not just interface elements or static pages.
- Have experience and interest in the entire design stack, including UI/UX, visual design, and interaction design.
- Have experience building for a variety of form factors, including mobile.
- Understand when no design is the best design.
- Have a strong personal design aesthetic and also understand the Mercury aesthetic.
- Want to create elegant, calm designs that predict and exceed users’ expectations.
- Feel comfortable anticipating and designing for edge cases.
- Understand the balance between perfect design and getting to market.
- Exhibit kindness and humility in everyday interactions.
- Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and all employees receive salary + equity + benefits.
- Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company.
The ranges shared are for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced or more senior than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
The salary range for candidates in the US is $164,000–$180,000.
The salary range for candidates in Canada is CAD 156,000–172,000.