FreeWill is hiring a
Senior Product Designer
USA - Remote
FreeWill is an award-winning, social-good startup that has partnered with 1200+ nonprofits who support our mission while raising more than $8.1B in bequests to charities since we were founded in 2017. We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Forbes, Oprah’s magazine, and our co-CEOs have even been named to Town & Country’s “Top 50 Philanthropists” list.
All of this is because we’ve figured out how to make some powerful (but complicated!) ways to donate much easier and more accessible. Our products make things easier for the donors who want to change the world and for nonprofits doing heroic work around the planet.
In the last 6 years, we’ve grown from 5 people to 175+ (all smart, tenacious, and kind), and continue to grow. We’d love to have you be a part of this adventure.
About the role
We are looking for a Product Designer to help us raise $1T for charity. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing new estate planning products with and for financial advisors, attorneys and other professions that steward financial assets. They will play a key part in the development of a B2B commercial partnership and platform. We are looking for someone who is comfortable with client-facing work, who has strong UX/UI design skills and is eager to join a fast-moving startup creating new estate planning products for a social purpose.
This role will report to the Senior Design Manager and is remote. Flexible start date. Unfortunately, we can’t sponsor H1Bs at this time.
FreeWill has set compensation and a non-negotiation policy for fairness reasons (we don't think that an individual's pay should be determined by how comfortable they are negotiating). As a result, we like to be transparent and up front about the compensation. When we make an offer, we provide multiple options so that employees can choose between compensation packages that prioritize salary or stock options. The offers for this role will be between $105,000 and $115,000; offers will also include stock options.
- Translate product requirements into wireframes, interactive prototypes, and iterate designs as needed to arrive at elegant and clean end-to-end experiences that provide visual consistency.
- Work closely with product and development teams to analyze, ideate, design, test, and implement new features.
- Present designs to internal team and clients, who include financial advisors and attorneys. Facilitate feedback sessions with clients, prioritize and address feedback in ways that move the project forward.
- Maintain a B2B2C mindset to ensure we delight both customers and end users.
- Learn about the estate planning and charitable giving spaces to ensure that designs meet needs across the company.
- Conduct research when needed to prioritize and identify most appropriate options.
- Evaluate designs and support UAT and QA with engineers.
- Collaborate with senior designers and engineers to ensure scalability and consistency of designs and quality of data.
- Be a team player and help build an inclusive team environment. Contribute to design team rituals and practice.
Required Skills and Experience
- Very strong grasp of UX/UI design
- 3+ years experience in product design role
- 1+ years experience working with clients
- Proficient with design and prototyping software, such as Figma, Sketch, Invision Studio, Adobe XD or equivalent
- Experience collaborating with PMs and engineers
- Strong communication, emotional intelligence and interpersonal skills
- Strong reading and comprehension skills
Nice to Have but Not Required
- Experience designing administrative systems for those working in specialized roles, including but not exclusive to financial, legal, insurance, healthcare organizations
- Experience translating legal regulations through designs
- Experience scoping and defining research questions and executing research studies
Other Important Traits
- You’re intensely curious, with scrappiness and grit
- You’re not afraid to wear multiple hats
- You recognize the importance of representing legal regulations simply and accurately, as they are translated to a digital environment
- You keep the picture of the bigger goal in mind while working on smaller pieces
- Recruiter Phone Screen (30 minutes)
- Technical interview (30 minutes)
- Take home exercise (45 minutes)
- Final interviews with 3 FreeWill team members (One 45 minute interview, and two separate 30 minute interviews)
- Offer (contingent on positive references and a clear background check. More can be found about this here)
Please note that steps in the hiring process can and may change and the Recruiter will be your point of contact in sharing about any updates in terms of the process. If you are selected to move forward in this process, the Recruiter will share more details about the hiring process and interviewers. However, this is a good estimate of what you can expect. For most roles, our hiring processes take an average of 4-6 weeks.
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible hours
- Competitive salary
- Commuter benefits
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave for all parents
- Regular (virtual) team events
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- $1,000 referral bonuses for growing our FreeWill community
- $1,000 annual professional development budget