Smartcat is hiring a
Smartcat is the operating system for the global translation industry. Our team believes that the world is becoming ever-more connected and interdependent. The borders that have prevented people from trading, working together, and exchanging knowledge and innovative ideas have eroded over time. This is the future that we want to live in. Our mission is to speed up the pace at which this happens by building the world’s best Language Delivery Platform™. We don’t believe automation will render language professionals obsolete. Instead, we place powerful software into the hands of the millions of people working to globalize their industries, plug them into our global supply network, and enable continuous delivery of multilingual content. We are well on our way, with thousands of customers and 500,000+ freelancers translating together on Smartcat.
Design at Smartcat
The Design team works across many types of product initiatives at Smartcat — from our brand voice and websites to events, web and mobile products, primary qualitative and quantitative research, and even printed publications. Since Smartcat’s main audience is who translate, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
You will do meaningful product design work at a highly admired product-driven company that's driving real change in the industry. We’re trying to make design a core foundation of our company's DNA. This means that you'll never have to justify the importance of design.
- Work closely with engineers and product managers to define both the long-term strategy and the short-term tactics for our upcoming initiatives
- Work through design problems from beginning to end, translating insights from research and analytics into concepts that form disruptive new products and features, and design the detailed workflows and interactions required to make them a reality
- Collaborate with designers across the organization to raise the quality bar and continuously improve Smartcat’s design processes, principles, and tooling
- Sketch and prototype ideas to quickly assess their viability and design the fine-grained details of components, interactions, and transitions
- Partner closely with our user research team, drive and support UX research projects
- Understand the array of technical constraints, user goals, and business requirements that shape a product
- Experience designing digital products and systems, not just websites. You have helped ship products that solve real problems, and that people use
- An appreciation of the entire product development process, from problem solving and system modeling to detailed UI, visual, and interaction design
- Ability to design polished, high-fidelity mockups of your solutions using modern design tools such as Figma
- Ability to create interactive prototypes using tools like Figma, Framer
- Strong communication skills to help people across the company understand the rationale behind your proposals, and the complex nuances of design problems
- Motivated self-starter who can deeply collaborate with other disciplines including product management, engineering, research, and analytics
- Have 3+ years relevant design experience at a tech, product-driven company
- A data-driven approach. Ability to justify decisions using concrete metrics
- Integrity and full commitment
- Growth mindset
- Readiness to work in a highly intense startup environment requiring extreme focus, a strong sense of ownership, and persistence to breakthrough
- Openness to constructive feedback and the opinions and ideas of others
Why joining Smartcat might be your best move so far
- The ongoing rise of the content economy is causing a massive shift in the language industry. All today’s megatrends AI in the language space, gateway marketplaces in B2B, etc. — are converging at lightning speed. Smartcat’s disruptive business model taps into this $50B industry with a platform where buyers and suppliers connect, collaborate, and leverage our workflow SaaS.
- You will enjoy building with us. You will drive changes in how an old-fashioned global language industry operates while improving how hundreds of thousands of people work and millions of people exchange knowledge and ideas worldwide.
- While the language industry is big and fragmented enough to keep us busy building a billion-dollar company in the next few years, we are already seeing how the platform naturally expands to adjacent language and content-related verticals, expanding our TAM and making our journey even more exciting.
- We are a global team of 150+ enthusiastic people. We have been fully remote since 2020, with some locations populated with more “Smartcatters” than others, such as Boston, NYC, SF, the Bay Area, London, Lisbon, and Yerevan. We strive to grow aggressively, but we also preserve our high performance, engagement, and open feedback culture. As diverse as we are, we love working and having fun together, and we’re sure you’ll love working with us too.
- Smartcat is backed by Matrix Partners, FJ Labs, and other top VC firms focusing on SaaS and marketplace startups (you might recognize names like HubSpot, Zendesk, Uber, Stripe, RigUp, and Quora in their portfolios). This helps us innovate at a fast pace and learn from top professionals in other industries.
- We are looking for someone who will become a part of the team and play a critical role in the most exciting part of our journey from a post-Series B startup to a company exceeding $1b in GMV and valuation. Our journey isn’t for the faint of heart. You need to be an extremely fast learner to bring value to our users and the industry as a whole. You need to see the big picture and execute strategies that significantly increase shareholder value over time. We need a sharp mind who can stay two steps ahead on the road. We’ve got lots of success to share if you’re ready for it.
- We welcome everyone and create inclusive teams. We celebrate differences and encourage everyone to join us and be themselves at work. We are committed to diversity and inclusion & prohibit discrimination and harassment.