Marshmallow is hiring a
We started Marshmallow when we found out how unfair insurance prices are for people who move to the UK. All because the industry hasn’t given this huge cohort of people a second’s thought, and isn’t set up to price them properly.
We saw an opportunity to do things differently, so we made it our mission to back the ones who step outside the norm. Since we started, we’ve helped 100,000s of people get a fairer deal on their car insurance. Using technology, we serve people that are often overlooked by financial services companies, solving important problems for people who need it most.
We know there are millions of marginalised customers out there. And we know that they face unique problems that most companies aren’t even aware of. We believe that our future is helping these people by learning about their experiences, and building our company around their needs. And there are strong signs that there’s a need for a company like us. Earlier this year we hit profitability, which is a huge milestone, but the most exciting thing is that we’re only just getting started.
How we work
We’re really proud of the culture we’ve created. We push for progress every day, because we know that we’ll only hit big milestones by taking lots of smaller steps. We’re always open to helping our team mates, sharing our ideas, experience and knowledge to solve problems together. We take risks, think creatively and experiment relentlessly to meet our customer’s needs, and never pass blame when things go wrong. We encourage people at all levels to take ownership of their work, and to be bold in challenging how we do things. Everyone has a voice and the opportunity to make an impact.
And autonomy and ownership are only possible with clear direction. That’s why we collaborate to do in-depth planning twice a year, and make sure we leave with clear goals and objectives that flow from top to bottom. To make sure we’re as aligned as possible across functions, most of our work rolls up into four tribes; Acquisition, Retention, Claims and Pricing, Underwriting & Fraud. Each tribe has multiple teams embedded in it, working cross-functionally to do great work.
The Design Team
At Marshmallow, we work to revolutionise the insurance industry – it's not just about rethinking how people buy cover or make a claim. We want to reduce the distress caused by accidents and personal disasters - and one day remove it altogether! So, where do you come into that?
As a team of designers, writers and researchers, we identify the needs of our customers to make sure we're prioritising and building the right thing that supports people in their hour of need, and makes them safer in the first place. We work collaboratively across the company, breaking silos to create a seamless experience.
We are on the hunt for a product designer to work in our expanding Claims Tribe. Almost two years ago we bought the management of our claims in house, and with that comes a number of challenges that the product team have to solve for. Whether it is managing the claim from an internal tooling perspective or addressing the needs of our customers through, what can be, a very distressing event, this role will be at the centre of it. It’s a highly complex part of the business weighing up multiple platforms, third party software, lots of partners and multiple workflows. You’ll be working with product managers, engineers, operations and other designers. You will be discovering, defining, testing and delivering at speed and with purpose.
Marshmallow will give you the tools and the freedom to decide on what are the most important areas to address and you can define how you work and how best to deliver for the claims team and wider business.
What you will be doing
- Working in a cross functional team work. Engineers, product managers, operations, designers all work collaboratively; challenging each other and educating each other along the way.
- End to end delivery. You will be initiating projects and following them through to delivery and beyond. Balancing both user and business needs.
- Designing for iOS and Android (as well as web). Understanding what the user needs from a digital experience from knowing what to do if an incident occurs through to claiming early and managing expectations through the claims process
- Conducting research internally and externally. It’s a given that you will be doing your own research and feedback. The conversations and relationships you build will be evident in the products you deliver.
- Managing stakeholders. Claims is a very costly area to the business with a lot of stakeholder attention. You’ll need to be able to navigate stakeholders with in the business, taking them on the journey and keeping them in the loop.
- Designing and validating your solutions. Utilising data, research and feedback to inform your design decision and working hypotheses for each feature you design.
- Maintaining high design standards by pairing with your peers, holding design reviews and facilitating workshops.
- Having fun. Insurance is a serious business and we are really making a difference to people who come to the country and are wanting to call it home. Having said that we like to make sure we enjoy our role and share a positive and fun mindset with your team.
You should apply if
- You enjoy complex problems. With lots of moving parts. You really have to think holistically about the claims process and varying workflows constantly.
- You are just as happy designing internal tools as well as mobile apps. The work is varied and it changes drastically from project to project. Be prepared to switch context quickly.
- You are a self-starter. We never sit still and always look for the next feature or metric to adjust. We are constantly trying to move the needle so a proactive mindset is key.
- You are humble and honest. Ideas can come from anywhere be prepared for collaboration and an open mind. You recognise failure and celebrate success.
- You understand that the user is king. Everything needs to be justified. You always go back to the user or metrics to fully understand what is happening and to guide your decision making.
Perks of the job
- Flexible working - Spend 3 days a week with your team in our new collaborative London office, and own your own working hours. The rest is up to you *If this arrangement doesn’t work, don’t let it hold you back. We’re always open to making reasonable adjustments if this is a barrier to you in any way. Let us know and we’ll talk about our options
- Competitive bonus scheme - designed to reward and recognise high performance 🌟
- Flexible benefits budget - £50 per month to spend on a Ben Mastercard meaning you get your own benefits budget to spend on things you want. Whether that’s subscriptions, night classes (puppy yoga, anyone?), the big shop or a forest of houseplants. Pretty much anything goes 💰
- Mental wellbeing support – Access therapy and mental health sessions through Oliva 💚
- Learning and development – Personal budgets for books and training courses to help you grow in your role. Plus 2 days a year - on us! - to further your skillset 🤓
- Private health care - Enjoy all the benefits Vitality has to offer, including reduced gym memberships and discounts on smartwatches 🏥
- Medical cash plan - To help you with the costs of dental, optical and physio (plus more!)
- Tech scheme - Get the latest tech for less 🖥
Plus all the rest; 33 days holiday (including bank holidays), pension, cycle to work scheme, monthly team socials and company-wide socials every month!
- Initial call with Luke our Marshmallow recruiter (45 mins)
- Past-experience interview with our head of design, Georgia (1 hour)
- Onsite task: The task part of the interview consists of a case study review where you present back a project that you're proud of. And, a white boarding exercise where you’ll guide the room to an outcome. (2 hours)
- Finally, there is a culture interview with the VP of operations Chris Sampson (1 hour)